In Norway, as well as other countries, situations may occasionally arise where visitors are unsure of how to act. A frequently asked question is whether it’s common to tip for service. It may also be useful to know which unwritten rules apply when taking photos in public places, especially when photographing people who you don’t know.
It is not uncommon to give tips in Norway, but it is not expected all the time. If you are satisfied with the service in a restaurant or bar, tipping will be much appreciated. The normal level is up to 10% extra. It is not so common to tip taxi drivers or for other forms of public transport. However, it is up to the customer to decide whether they wish to reward good service with a tip.
A lot of people visit Tromsø every year and many are very keen on photography. It is fine to take photos everywhere, including at most of the attractions. However, some have signs indicating that photography is not permitted. This is generally in the art galleries and on some exhibits at museums.
Photographing groups of people is usually ok, but if you are photographing an unknown individual then it is best and most polite to ask permission first. Photographing children or around schools and kindergartens is generally not accepted unless you have prior permission.
For photography/filming for commercial purposes, we recommend that you get permission in advance. This most relates to filming/photography inside buildings or museums.
Use of drones for play and leisure.
TOP 5 RULES:
1. The drone should always be kept within your sight and operated in a mindful and
considerate manner. Never fly near accident sites.
2. Never fly closer than 5 km from airports unless you have explicit clearance to do so.
3. Never fly higher than 120 meters off the ground.
4. Never fly over festivals, military sites or sporting events. Keep a distance of 150 meters.
5. Be considerate of othersprivacy. Take note of the rules concerning photos and films of other people.
Are you planning to take photos/film with your drone?
Download PDF of Avnor's Drone Guide here.