If you want freedom to roam, renting a car or a camper van can be a good option to explore the Tromsø region at your own pace. Tromsø offers several well-known international car rental companies, so it is easy to get out of the city.
There are several companies offering rental cars if you want to have access to your own vehicle for a day or your whole stay. There are also several companies renting out camper vans and caravans. We strongly recommend that you book in advance. Before driving in Arctic Norway, we strongly advice you to read up on driving conditions before you set out on your adventure. Driving in Summer is easy, but our winter conditions can be challenging
Good to know:
• Don’t drink and drive. We have very strict alcohol laws and you get severe penalties for driving under the influence. The legal limit is 0,02 % blood alcohol for the driver of any motorized vehicle.
• If you need medications and intend to drive, avoid the ones that are marked with a red triangle.
• Seat belts are compulsory for drivers and all passengers. Fines for not wearing your seat belts are large.
• It is not legal to use a hand-held phone whilst driving.
• You need to have your lights on at all times, also in summer. This includes mopeds and motorcycles.
• In case of an accident, all vehicles must have at least one high-visibility vest, a warning triangle, and third-party insurance.
• Speed limits on the open road is generally 80km/h unless otherwise stated. The exception is in built-up areas or town centres, where it is 50 km/h unless otherwise stated. In residential areas it can be as low as 30 km/h.
• Winter tires are required in the period 15 October–1 May. Studded winter tires may also be used outside of these periods if the weather and road surface conditions make it necessary.
• Driving licence issued in a EU/EEA country can be use it in Norway for as long as it is valid. Driving licences from most countries outside the EU/EEA can be used in Norway for up to three months.
• If you hire a car, you may need to have held the licence for at least one year.